Kadhai Chicken is a popular Indian preparation of chicken that is cooked in a kadhai or karahi (a kind of thick, round, deep cooking pot just like the shape of a wok and that is usually used in India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Nepal). Kadhai Chicken (Kadai Chicken) or Chicken Karahi is among the simplest yet flavorful North Indian chicken curry recipes that often finds its way into Indian restaurant menus.
Kadhai Chicken is slightly flavored with spices and capsicums, while no extra water is added while cooking. Chicken pieces are cooked in their own steam and with the onions included. The cooking of Kadhai Chicken involves demanding stir-frying over high heat while delicate ingredients are added in sequence while taking care that none of the ingredients over brown or burn. Kadhai Chicken tastes equally yummy when served with naan, roti, chapati or hot steamed rice.
- Whole Chicken – 900 grams
- Tomatoes – 10 Nos. (Medium Size)
- Coriander leaves (Cilantro) – 2 Tablespoons
- Onions – 2 nos. (Medium Size)
- Garlic paste – 2 Tablespoons (30 grams)
- Ginger – 2 Tablespoons / 30 grams (finely chopped)
- Dry Red Chillies – 8 Nos.
- Green Chillies – 8 Nos. (chopped)
- Red Chili Powder – 1 Teaspoon (5 grams)
- Whole Coriander Seeds (Dhania) – 1 Tablespoon (15 grams)
- Garam Masala Powder – 1 Teaspoon (5 grams)
- Coriander Powder (Dhania powder) – 1 Teaspoon (5 grams)
- Whole Garam Masala – 1 Teaspoon (5 grams)
- Oil – 2 Tablespoons / 30 ml. (adjust as needed)
- Salt – As per taste
- Wash the chicken, take out its skin and cut the chicken into pieces (boneless or with bone as desired).
- As cooking pre-preparation, first pound together whole coriander seeds (dhania) and dry red chillies. Then roughly slice the onions and chop tomatoes. Keep aside.
- In a Kadhai take oil, add Whole Garam Masala, garlic, green chillies and pounded whole coriander seeds and red chillies mixture. Fry the spices well without burning them.
- Then add sliced onions and fry till the onions turn golden brown.
- Next add to it tomatoes, ginger, coriander powder and red chili powder. Let it cook for a while then add the chicken pieces, salt and coriander leaves (Cilantro). Mix well, sprinkle the Garam Masala Powder. Cover and cook for 8-10 mins on low flame.
- When done serve the hot kadhai chicken with steamed rice.