Chilli Chicken is a popular Indo-Chinese dish prepared with chicken. In India, many variations of this chicken preparation abound. As such, there is no standard recipe for this dish everyone uses their culinary skills to make their own version. Generally, Chilli Chicken is made of chunks of boneless chicken mixed with dry red chilies, finely chopped ginger and garlic, onions and other Indo Chinese spices to make a spicy Indian flare dish along with the distinct traditional Chinese flavors. Some recipe variations also use chicken with bone. Being well adapted to the Indian palate, Chilli Chicken is a great combination with rice, hakka noodles or chowmein noodles.
- Chicken (boneless) – 800 grams
- Monosodium Glutamate, MSG (Ajinomoto) – 1 pinch
- White Pepper powder – 1/2 Teaspoon (2.5 grams)
- Sugar – 1 Teaspoon (5 grams)
- Soya Sauce – 2 Tablespoons (30 ml.)
- Cornflour – 2 Tablespoons (30 grams)
- Egg – 1 No.
- Green Chillies – 8 Nos. (Chopped)
- Garlic – 8 cloves (Chopped)
- Oil – 1 Tablespoon (15 ml.)
- Chicken Stock or Water – 2 Teacups (300 ml.)
- Oil – To fry
- Salt – As per taste
- Wash and cut the chicken into boneless one-inch cubes.
- Marinate the boneless chicken pieces for ten minutes, in a marinade prepared by combining 1 tablespoon Soya sauce, salt, 1 egg and 1 tablespoon cornflour.
- Heat oil in a wok and deep fry the marinated boneless chicken in hot oil till light brown.
- In a wok on a high flame, heat 1 tablespoon oil. Add chopped garlic and chopped green chillies and toss for 15 seconds. Then add 300 ml of chicken stock or water. Bring it to a boil and add white pepper powder, MSG, sugar, salt and rest of the soya sauce.
- Add the fried chicken pieces to the sauce being cooked in the wok and let it cook for 3 minutes. Add cornflour dissolved in water and stir constantly till the sauce thickens.
- Garnish with chopped spring onions and green chillies cut in julienne.