Tawa Paneer Masala is a very easy, quick and delicious semi-dry dish that uses simple everyday ingredients and is made in almost every dhaba in North India on a tawa or griddle – a concave-shaped round pan.
For Fried Marinated Paneer
- Paneer (Indian cottage cheese) – 400 Gms (chopped into 1/2 inch cubes)
- Yogurt (curd) – 8 Tbsp
- Kasoori Methi (Dried Fenugreek Leaves) – 2 Tbsp
- Garam Masala – 1 Teaspoon
- Dry Mango Powder (amchur) – 1 Teaspoon
- Chaat Masala – 1/2 Teaspoon
- Turmeric (haldi) – 1/4 Teaspoon
- Cardamom Powder – 1 Teaspoon
- Salt – 1 Teaspoon
- Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder – 4 Teaspoon
- Black Pepper Powder – 1 Teaspoon
- Oil – 2 Tablespoons
For Tawa Masala
- Ghee (clarified butter) – 4 Tablespoons
- Ajwain (carom seeds) – 1 Teaspoon
- Cumin (jeera) – 1 Teaspoon
- Hing (asafoetida) – 1/2 Teaspoon
- Ginger Paste – 1/2 Tablespoon
- Garlic Paste – 2 Tablespoons
- Green Chilies – 4 Nos. (chopped)
- Onion – 150 grams (finely chopped)
- Capsicum (green bell pepper) – 100 grams (chopped)
- Tomatoes – 4 Nos. (rough chopped and then pureed)
- Cream – 2 Tablespoons
- Lemon juice – 2 Tablespoons
- Salt – According to Taste
- Cilantro (coriander leaves) – 3 Tablespoons (chopped for garnish)
- Mint Leaves – 1 sprig (chopped for garnish)
- Take a big bowl and add yogurt, kasoori methi, garam masala, dry mango powder, chaat masala, turmeric powder, cardamom powder, black pepper powder, salt and kashmiri red chilli powder. Mix all the ingredients well then add paneer cubes and let it be coated well with the marinade. Rest in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Take a large tawa or deep pan with a heavy base on medium-high heat, drizzle 2 tbsp oil and shallow fry the paneer pieces on all sides. Take care not to burn them. Turn off flame and remove it to a plate. Keep Aside.
- In the same pan on medium-high heat, add 4 tablespoon ghee.
- Add the carom seeds, cumin seeds, asafoetida and fry them for a few seconds till they crackle and release their aroma.
- Add the ginger paste, garlic paste, green chilies. Saute till the raw aroma of ginger-garlic disappears.
- Add the onions and saute till translucent.
- Add the finely chopped capsicum and saute for about 3 minutes.
- Add the pureed tomatoes and salt. Mix well. Cook this mixture till it gets thick in consistency and the tomatoes are well cooked, yet mushy.
- Stir well and saute till ghee releases from the sides and the masala has thickened a bit. This takes about 8 to 10 minutes on a low flame.
- Then on medium heat add marinated paneer with yogurt, kasoori methi, garam masala, dry mango powder, chaat masala, turmeric powder, cardamom powder, salt and kashmiri red chilli powder. Saute for about a minute or two.
- Stir well making sure the paneer cubes don’t break. Cover it with a lid and simmer over low flame. Dry the gravy.
- Add fresh cream, lemon juice. salt and mix well. Turn off flame.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and mint leaves.
- Serve Tawa Paneer Masala with chapatis, phulkas, naan, bread or rice. Accompany with lemon wedges and sliced onion rings.