Paneer Schezwan is a spicy Indo Chinese Stir-Fried Dish, adapted from the Szechuan cuisine of China to suit Indian taste buds. Indo-Chinese Sichuan style stir-fried paneer can be both a tasty side dish to a fusion style meal or a wholesome delicious appetizer to be enjoyed as a starter.
For the Batter Fried Paneer
- Paneer (indian cottage cheese) – 500 grams (cut into 1″ cubes)
- All-Purpose Flour (maida) – 90 grams
- Cornflour – 32 grams
- Black Pepper Powder – 1 Teaspoon
- Coriander Powder – 1 Teaspoon
- Soya Sauce – 1/2 Teaspoon
- Green Chilli Sauce – 1/2 Teaspoon
- Red Chilli Powder – 1 Teaspoon
- Salt – To taste
- Water – As required
- Cooking Oil – For deep frying
For Dry Roasted Spice Powder
- Fennel seeds (saunf) – 2 Teaspoons
- Star anise (chakr phool) – 3 Nos.
- Cinnamon (dalchini) – 4 sticks
- Cloves (laung) – 6 Nos.
- Black Peppercorn (kaali mirch) – 1 1/2 Tablespoon
- Coriander Seeds (dhania) – 1 Tablespoon
- Sesame Oil (til oil) – 4 Tablespoons
- Ginger – 2 Tablespoons (fine chopped)
- Garlic – 2 Tablespoons (fine choped)
- Green Chillies – 6 Nos. (slit)
- Soya Sauce – 1 & 1/2 Tablespoons
- Chilli Sauce – 1/2 Teaspoon
- White Vinegar – 1/2 Teaspoon
- Sugar – 1 Teaspoon
- Schezwan Sauce – 2 Tablespoons
- Tomato Sauce – 2 Teaspoons
- Salt – To taste
- MSG (Monosodium Glutamate / Ajinomoto) – 1 pinch (optional)
- Dry Red Chillies – 4 Nos.
- Onions – 1 large (chopped into 1″ squares)
- Green Bell Pepper – 1 No. (cut into 1″ squares)
- Red Bell Pepper – 1 No. (cut into 1″ squares)
- Spring Onions – 4 Sprigs (fine chopped)
- Take a bowl, add the all-purpose flour, cornflour, pepper powder, coriander powder, soy sauce, green chilli sauce, red chilli powder, salt. Add water to make a batter of coating consistency, ensure there are no lumps. Coat all the paneer cubes in this batter. In a kadhai, heat oil and deep fry the paneer cubes till crisp. Use a slotted spoon, Keep aside.
- Heat a pan and dry roast the fennel seeds, star anise, cinnamon, cloves, peppercorns, coriander seeds and transfer into a blender and make a fine powder. Keep it aside.
- Take a heavy base kadhai, put it on high flame and heat sesame oil. Add ginger, garlic and green chillies. Stir fry on high heat.
- Next add in quick succession the dry roasted powdered spices, soy sauce, chilli sauce, white vinegar, sugar, schezwan sauce, tomato sauce, salt. Add MSG if desired. Cook together on high flame, while stirring to get a saucy consistency.
- Next add red chilies, onion, green bell pepper, red bell pepper. Stir Fry on high heat for few seconds. Then add the batter-fried paneer and toss together so that the sauce coats the paneer while taking care not to break the paneer.
- Remove from heat, garnish with chopped spring onions and serve hot.