Chilli Paneer is a popular restaurant style Indo Chinese dish that can be served as an appetizer or along with a bowl of steamed rice, veg fried rice, schezwan fried rice or hakka noodles for the main course. A real treat especially for all vegetarians, Paneer Chilli with refreshing hints of sweetness, sourness and a spicy flavour, is full of tasty and crunchy vegetables stir-fried with Indian cottage cheese.
For Batter Fried Paneer
- Paneer (Indian cottage cheese) – 400 gm (cut into cubes)
- White Flour (maida) – 50 grams
- Corn Flour – 100 grams
- Black Pepper Powder – 2 Teaspoons
- Salt – 1/2 Teaspoon
- Sugar – 1/2 Teaspoon
- Soy Sauce – 2 Teaspoons
- Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder – 1 Teaspoon
- Water – 1/2 Cup
- Oil to Fry
For Stir Fry with Chilli Sauce
- Sesame Oil (til oil) – 3 Tablespoons
- Garlic – 2 Tablespoons (fine chopped)
- Ginger – 1 Tablespoon (fine chopped)
- Green Chillies – 6 Nos. (cut into strips)
- Onion – 1 Big (cut into square dices)
- Red Bell Pepper (Red Capsicum) – 1 No. (cut into square dices)
- Green Bell Pepper / Green Capsicum – 1 No. (cut into square dices)
- Tomato Ketchup – 4 Tablespoons
- Vinegar – 2 Tablespoons
- Green Chilli Sauce – 2 Tablespoons
- Red Chilli Sauce – 1 Teaspoon
- Red Chilli Powder – 1 Teaspoon
- Black Pepper Powder – 1 Teaspoon
- Coriander Powder – 1 Teaspoon
- Soy Sauce – 2 Tablespoons
- Sugar – 1 Teaspoon
- Salt – 1 Teaspoon
- MSG (Monosodium Glutamate / Ajinomoto) – 1 pinch (optional)
- Spring Onion Green – To Garnish
- In a big bowl take maida, corn flour, black pepper powder, coriander powder, salt, sugar, soy sauce, kashmiri red chilli powder. Add enough water to get a thick consistency batter and mix well ensuring there are no lumps. Add Paneer cubes and gently mix so that the batter completely coats the paneer. Let it rest for 30 minutes. Heat oil in a kadhai (Indian wok), when the oil is sufficiently hot, add the batter coated paneer pieces one by one and fry till golden brown. Keep aside.
- In a separate kadhai, take sesame oil and heat it on high flame. Immediately, add the chopped ginger and garlic along with slit chillies. Saute for a few seconds.
- Add the tomato ketchup, vinegar, green chilli sauce, red chilli sauce, red chilli powder, black pepper powder, soy sauce, sugar, salt. Stir well. Add MSG if desired.
- Add cubed onion, red and green capsicum and stir fry.
- Finally, add the fried paneer cubes and gently toss them to be well coated with the sauce.
- Garnish with chopped spring onions and serve hot.
*** To increase the spiciness of Paneer Chilli dish substitute kashmiri red chilli powder with regular red chilli powder.